Thursday, January 10, 2013

Published Thursday, January 10, 2013 by with 2 comments

Cherry Icebox Cookies

I LOVE cherry icebox cookies. Specifically those that come from Collin Street Bakery. Since it's a bit of drive to get to one, which is probably good thing, I'm resorting to making them at home. I have been looking for a recipe for them for sometime now. This one came from Taste of Home cookbook. These have been major hit with the husband.

Cherry Icebox Cookies
Yields about 6 dozen

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
4 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cherry and lemon juices and vanilla.

Combine flour, backing soda, cinnamon and cream of tartar

Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. 

Stir in nuts and cherries. I omitted the nuts, and may have added more like 3/4 to 1 cup of chopped cherries.

 I like cherries, and after all, they are cherry icebox cookies.

Shape into four 12-inch rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hour or until firm

Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2in apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.

Remove to wire racks to cool.

Ever so hopeful Milton.

And enjoy!

Milton likes to sit or lie here on the memory foam kitchen mat when I'm in the kitchen while he hopes for me to drop something. 

He's actually looking up at the cooking island where the cookies are.
Keep on dreaming dog, these cookies are almost too good to share. I had to put half of them in the freezer so I would not eat them all. Believe me, I want to eat them all but I do not the side effect of that. I'm going to take them to book club this weekend. 

      edit

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oops, forgot to put that in the recipe, 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

      Delete