Saturday, January 26, 2013

Published Saturday, January 26, 2013 by with 4 comments

Pre-Baby Bucket List

EDIT: See updated list in this post Baby Fever
Pre-Baby Bucket List

     Before Matthew and I got married we discussed when we thought we would like to have children. We felt that one year was a good amount of time. A year would give us plenty of time to enjoy being married, and learn how to be married, right? Well, Matthew and I have been married for eight months now! It has gone by so fast and I know our anniversary will be here before we know it. I don't think I'll be ready to start trying for a child in four months. So after having a freak out about being old, pregnancy in general, saying we would try after a year, not being ready and other inconsequential stuff I talked to my friend, Marlee, she said she was having the same problem and suggested making a list of things that we would like to do before we have a kiddo.
     I love this idea. Call me selfish, but I love my husband and want to spend as much time with him as possible before we add to our family (right now pets are enough for us). So having this list 1) gives us an opportunity to do things we have always wanted to do together 2) while working toward a future goal 3) preparing our hearts and 4) plays into my love of lists (see what I did there).
     Now I understand that having a kid is not the end of the world, and that the stuff on this list can be done even with children so I don't expect to cross everything off (that's why it's a bucket list). With that being said, these are things that I think would be nice to do without children in tow and we might have an easier time planning/doing them without having to think about the kids and some of it is just plain practical. Here is what Matthew and I come up with:

  • Wine tasting tour
  • Road trip
  • Spend all day in pajamas watching movies
  • Have a boozy lunch with friends
  • Spontaneous weekend get away - and by spontaneous I mean less than a week's notice. I do like to have things somewhat planned
  • Stay out late - this one is accomplished anytime I hang out with my friends. So I intend to enjoy it every time it happens
  • Go out to eat - again, Matthew and I do like to go out to eat, so we plan to enjoy the luxury of getting to eat our food and not worry about feeding kids as well as getting to spend alone time with each other  or having to find a babysitter. 
  • See lots of movies that would be inappropriate for children 
  • Surprise romantic dinner for Matthew
  • Surprise romantic dinner for Katie
  • Go on a cruise or travel to Europe
  • Stay at a bed-and-breakfast
  • Get healthy
  • Purchase a SUV
  • Learn to sew / take sewing class
  • Be a tourist where we live (Dallas)
  • Get life insurance
  • Build up an emergency fund
  • Pay off student loan
  • Pay off Matthew's car
  • Go hiking (preferably in Colorado)
  • Get more pedicures

      edit

4 comments:

  1. Love your list! We have a couple of the same ones so I am thinking we need to do them together like the wine tasting tour? You both will be amazing parents, but I am so glad you realize how important this time is to have with each other. I know your kids will benefit so much from it and look up to your relationship. Can't wait for you to stay at a bed & breakfast, that one might become a favorite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Another reason I like you so much and you are so awesome, you make lists! Can we have anymore in common???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list. And yes, having kids won't stop you from staying out too late with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have more to cross off your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete